Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fast and Furious

Lately, I have been moving fast.  Not just because I flew to Montana and back on a jet.  Or because I drove fast getting Julia and Steve to the airport.  But because for about the last two weeks I have been matching wits with and trying to keep up with my grandkids.

On the 21st I went to Montana to visit Greg and his family.  I hit the ground running, literally.  The first thing that Caleb wanted to do was play freeze tag.  I was not really very willing, but Caleb has the gifts of persuasion and persistence.  Once he makes up his mind about something, everyone might as well fall in line.  So there I was, in the middle of their acre lot running not only horizontally but vertically as well.  There is a pile of dirt there that must be 1000 cubic feet (like as big as a family room and as high as the ceiling).  Those kids didn't cut me any slack either.  Old grandma didn't want disappoint so she hung in there for about an hour and then had a collapse.  That night I accidently I fell asleep at about 8:00 in my clothes with my running shoes still on my feet.

I spent 5 days there in that crystal clear Montana air, drinking luscious well water, walking to the creek, making cinnamon rolls, watching it snow, getting hugged and kissed, and of course, playing freeze tag.  Just the best!

I got home thursday night and Friday morning bright and early I was on my way to pick up Julia and Steve's kids to come and stay with us for the next 5 days.  I was off and running again.  Making waffles, grilling cheese sandwiches, going to the store, going back to the store, "did you wash your hands". . ."with soap", searching for binkies, "get back into bed", "I'm going to count to three", "don't throw the golf ball in the house", "take three more bites", "we are going to take a bath", "there isn't any more ice cream", "get your shoes on", "where are his pants!!!".  I'm sure you get the picture.

By Monday morning, I decided that busy kids would be happier kids so I took out the basket of work gloves and let them pick their pair.  We all armed ourselves with shovels and went out back to get the garden box ready to plant.  Those weed were as tall as Calvin and almost as stubborn.  The kids thought they were in for a treat but after about 20 minutes they were done.  
That's when my latent mother logic flipped into gear.  I asked them how long they had watched the TV that morning.  "About 2 hours."  "Well," I said, "the rule around here is that we work as long as we watched the TV!"  Their faces fell.  I said, "But, I'll make you a deal.  I'll let you go in and do some of the easy work.  You make your beds, pick up the clothes, and unload the dishwasher."  They were skipped off happy at their good luck.  

Am I mean or am I mean?  The beauty of it is not just that they got a lot done but that Julia owes me now because tonight those kids think that they have the nicest mom ever!

I love my grandkids and consider my life blessed to be their grandma and love being with them whenever I can.  But I have one other small blessing that I will only whisper to you about.  It is that my house is quiet tonight and I have a comfortable bed in the next room which I plan on staying in, peacefully slumbering, until at least 9:00 tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, you're so funny. You're not mean -- if the work made them konk out early, I say it's genius. We miss you here in Texas and Jane still picks up your picture, lights up, blows kisses to you and then slobbers all over the photo.

    ReplyDelete